Once you have registered your domain name, you will need to assign it. This guide will show you how-to assign a domain name to your hosting account.
If you don’t already have a domain name, let’s get you one! Click <a href="http://<a href="https://www.bluehost.com/track/vodickro/" target="_blank"> here to register a domain name.
In order to work correctly on your Bluehost account, your domain will need to point to your hosting account either via Nameservers or the A Record. The Nameservers or A Record should be pointed to Bluehost prior to assigning the domain to minimize update time.
With regards to domain name registration, currently we can register .com .net .org .us .biz and .info domains. All other domain extensions must first be registered with a company capable of registering that extension. From there, you should be able to point your nameservers to us so that you can use our hosting services.
Assigning the Domain Name
Important note: An Active Hosting service is required in order to assign domains.
- Click Assign from the submenu.
- Choose if you will assign a new domain to your account or one that is already associated with your account.
- If you are assigning a new domain, you must verify ownership of the domain name. There are three ways this can be done:
- Name Servers: Update your Name Servers to ns1.Bluehost.com and ns2.Bluehost.com.
- A Record: Point the A record to the IP address indicated on the screen.
- Create HTML Page: Create an HTML page on your existing host containing the case-sensitive text provided.
- EPP Code: This will not transfer your domain name but use the EPP code to verify ownership.
- Choose Addon vs. Parked
- Addon Domain: An addon domain name functions as its own domain and website, separate from your primary domain.
- Parked Domain: A parked domain name will load the same website as your primary domain.
- Unassigned Domain: An unassigned domain is attached to your account but does not point to a website or have a dedicated folder. Choose this option if you’re not ready to host the domain yet. You can assign the domain as an addon or parked when you’re ready.To know more about this, please refer to this article: What Is The Difference Between Addon Domain, Parked Domain & Subdomain?
- If you selected the Addon domain, choose the folder in your account that the domain will point to.
- Choose a Subdomain.The Control Panel only uses the subdomain for the domain assignment. You will still access your domain name directly.
- Click the Add Domain button at the bottom of the page to assign the domain.
- Once complete, you should see that the domain is listed in the Domains tab.
9 thoughts on “BlueHost Tips: How To Assign A Domain”
Great info for techies.
thanks, got it
Nice Info. Thanks, I really appreciate it.